These may not look like traditional American hot dogs you are used to (maybe more like sausage rolls) but I can assure you – they are amazing! I’ve tried several recipes and different types of dough. Including the one I used to make Pigs in Blanket (recipe from the KetoDiet Apps). Finally, I used the dough from my Ultimate Keto Buns and it was the best one by far. The dough is fluffy and soft inside and crispy on the outside. Ultimate Keto Hot Dogs!
Ultimate Keto Hot Dogs – Ingredients
- 1/2 recipe of Ultimate Keto Buns without the seed topping
- 6 sausages, pastured and gluten-free (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 1 large egg yolk, free-range or organic
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds of preference (sesame, flax, poppy seeds, caraway or sunflower seeds) (16 g / 0.6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt – or use regular (i like pink Himalayan)
- Optional: serve with Dijon mustard, ketchup or BBQ sauce (all recipes are on my blog)
- If you can’t tolerate psyllium, try this dough instead: Di’s Low-carb Bread. When using ingredients, always go by their weight, especially in case of baked goods. Measures such as cups may vary depending on a product / brand.
Hands-on 20 minutes Overall 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prepare the dough for the hot dogs by following the recipe for Ultimate Keto Buns. I used my Kenwood mixer to process the dough.
- Place the dough into a wrapping foil and leave to rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. When done, remove from the fridge and divide into 6 equal pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F. Wet your hands and roll out each one of them into about 15 inch / 40 cm long. Wet your hands between rolling each of the pieces.
I used pastured, gluten-free sausages from my local farm. You can use “regular” hot dog sausages, just make sure you avoid those with added flour, sugar and unnecessary additives.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Wrap around each sausage. I left gaps between the threads to allow for even cooking. It also helps crisping up the dough and reduces moisture. In a bowl, beat the egg yolk and brush onto each of the hot dogs.
- Sprinkle with the seeds and salt and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the dough is cooked through.
- When done, place on a serving plate and serve with Dijon mustard, ketchup or BBQ sauce.
- Net carbs 4.1 grams
- Protein 20 grams
- Fat 24.8 grams
- Calories 330 kcal
- Calories from carbs 5%, protein 25%, fat 70%
- Total carbs 13.7 grams
- Fiber 9.6 grams
- Sugars 1.6 grams
- Saturated fat 6.7 grams
- Sodium 784 mg(34% RDA)
- Magnesium88 mg(22% RDA)
- Potassium462 mg(23% EMR)