Call off your reservation at the local bistro and get your hands on this incredibly tasteful soup. Healthy, fruitful and fit perfectly to your keto-friendly lifestyle. Slow Cooker Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup.
Slow Cooker Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
Even though it isn’t perfect soup weather here today. I am still going to share this incredible low carb Zuppa Toscana soup with you! It’s one of my favorite soups at Olive Garden, so I knew I had to make a copycat of it sooner than later.
So what makes this soup low carb? If you have ever had Zuppa Toscana soup before you know the main ingredients are diced potatoes, sausage, kale, and a flavorful broth. With that being said, it wasn’t hard to make this low carb Zuppa Toscana. I substituted the diced potatoes for fresh cauliflower florets. I haven’t tried making this soup with frozen cauliflower, and I am not sure how the cauliflower will hold up. I’m afraid it would be a little mushy, and that’s not the texture we are going after. I used hot Italian sausage, but remember to watch the sugar in store-bought sausage.
- 1 pound mild or hot ground Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion or 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 36 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large cauliflower head, diced into small florets
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/3 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Brown the ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat until done.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and place it into at least a 6-quart slow cooker. Discard the grease.
- Place the oil in the same skillet and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the onions, chicken or vegetable stock, cauliflower florets, kale, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Mix until combined.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until combined.
- Serve hot.