There is nothing better than a bowl of satisfying soup on a cold winter’s evening. This soup is deliciously rich and creamy with a spicy warming kick from the chorizo sausage and cayenne pepper. I prefer it dairy-free but you can make it milder with some heavy whipping cream or cheddar cheese. One serving should keep you sated for hours but if you feel hungry, you can eat it with one of my Ultimate Keto Buns. Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Soup!
Low-Carb Spicy Cauliflower Soup- Nutritional Values
Hands-on 15 minutes. Overall 20 minutes.
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (11.5%), protein (17.6%), fat (70.9%).
Total Carbs 10.6 grams
Fiber 3.6 grams
Net Carbs 7 grams
Protein 10.7 grams
Fat 19.1 grams
of which Saturated 9 grams
Calories 251 kcal
Magnesium 34 mg (8.5%)
Potassium 690 mg (35%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 large cauliflower (800 g / 1.7 lb / 28.2 oz)
- 1 medium turnip or more cauliflower (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- small white onion (70 g / oz)
- 2 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or bone broth, preferably home-made (480 ml / 16 fl oz)
- 1 medium Spanish chorizo sausage or pepperoni (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 3 tbsp ghee, lard or butter (45 g / 1.6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- 1 medium spring onion or chives for garnish (15 g / 0.5 oz).
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into small florets.
- Grease a large soup pot or a Dutch oven with 2 tablespoons of ghee and add finely chopped onion. Cook over a medium-high heat until lightly browned. Add the cauliflower and cook for about 5 minutes while stirring. Add the chicken stock and cover with a lid. Cook for about 10 minutes and take off the heat.
- Dice the chorizo sausage. Peel and finely dice the turnip or use more cauliflower – the stems are great for browning. Place on a heavy-based skillet greased with the remaining ghee and cook over a medium-high heat until the chorizo is crispy and the turnip is tender for about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the chorizo & turnip mixture into the soup. Using a hand blender, pulse until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Optionally, you can add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream or grated cheddar cheese.
- Pour into a serving bowl and sprinkle with more chorizo & turnip mixture and drizzle with some of the spicy oil. Garnish with freshly chopped spring onion or chives.