The absolutely best soup ever! It’s like a kicked up french onion soup, philly cheesesteak soup mashup and it’s wonderful. Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Soup!
Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Soup
Philly Cheesesteak soup is a nourishing low-carb meal, perfect for chilly winter days. Topping the soup bowls with a slice of provolone makes for a spectacular presentation. With a melty browned topping that sticks to your spoon as you dig in.
Really, is there anything tastier and more inviting than this yummy soup recipe?
- 3 ½ tbsp butter
- red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 6 oz. mild cheese
- 3 oz. sliced provolone cheese
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once hot, add the onions and sauté until tender but not browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the peppers and mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the roast beef and toss to mix well. Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes.
- Place the cream cheese in a blender and add about ¼ of the hot broth from the pan. Blend until smooth and the cream cheese is melted. Pour the mixture back into the pan and stir in the shredded cheese until melted.
- Preheat the broiler. Ladle the soup into oven safe bowls or ramekins and top with a piece of provolone.
- Set on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 2 to 4 minutes.
Can Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Soup Be Frozen?
Almost any soup can be frozen, though some will lose a bit of texture in the process.
Cool completely and place in a heavy duty freezer bag or in an airtight container to freeze. When stored properly, soup can be frozen for 2-4 months.