These Low-Carb Baked Greek Meatballs with Feta and Oregano look a bit messy while they’re cooking, but you won’t mind that once you’re eating them! These delicious meatballs are low-carb, Keto, low-glycemic and gluten-free.
yield: 20-24 SMALL MEATBALLS
total time: 45-55 MINUTES
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30-40 MINUTES
These Low-Carb Baked Greek Meatballs with Feta and Oregano look a bit messy while they’re cooking, but you won’t mind that once you’re eating them!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground beef with 9% fat)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup very finely crumbled feta cheese (measure after crumbling finely with a fork)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 2 tsp. minced garlic from a jar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil, plus more olive oil or non-stick spray for baking dish
- 4 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 T dried Greek oregano
- 1 tsp. Greek seasoning (optional, but good)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a glass baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (You can use a metal baking sheet, but it’s harder to clean.)
- Use a food processor to chop the onion very finely, then drain if it seems like there is a lot of liquid.
- Crumble 1/2 cup Feta cheese with a fork, until it’s finely crumbled.
- Put the ground beef into a bowl and add the finely chopped onion, finely crumbled Feta, minced garlic, egg, olive oil, red wine vinegar, Greek oregano, Greek Seasoning, salt, and pepper. Combine with your clean hands until all ingredients are well-mixed.
- Use a one tablespoon measuring cup to scoop out meat; then roll it into balls with your hands and place in rows in the baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes, after which time you will see some liquid oozing out. (You can scoop some of the liquid out with a spoon if it bothers you; I usually do that.)
- Turn meatballs and bake 10 more minutes. Turn again, and bake 5-10 more minutes more or until meatballs are well-browned and cooked through. (I would check one when you turn them the second time and use that to judge how much more cooking time is needed.)
- Meatballs are delicious served with Tzatziki Sauce.
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
These meatballs would be approved for most any low-carb or low-glycemic eating plan, including any phase of the South Beach Diet.
If you want nutritional information for a recipe, I recommend entering the recipe into Calorie Count, which will calculate it for you.
Recipe By KALYN DENNY