This recipe is definitely quite extraordinary for most keto-dieters. As you may know, I’m not a big fan of vegan diets. However, I have received a few requests for a keto-friendly vegan recipe, as there are very few available. Although, most vegans follow the diet by choice, there are some that have to avoid animal products due to allergies. This is not a “zero-carb” recipe but that generally applies to most vegan foods. Keto Vegan “Zoodles”!
Keto Vegan “Zoodles”
If you decide to follow vegan keto or vegetarian keto diet for ethical reasons, make sure to avoid potential deficiencies and use supplements if needed. If you do follow a plant-based approach, have a look at this post that answers some of the most common questions.
You eat animal products, feel free to add some cooked chicken or salmon.
Hands-on 10 minutes. Overall 15 minutes.
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7.8%), protein (5.8%), fat (86.4%).
Total Carbs 19.8 grams
Fiber 11.4 grams
Net Carbs 8.4 grams
Protein 6.3 grams
Fat 41.7 grams
of which Saturated 11.1 grams
Calories 449 kcal
Magnesium 83 mg (21% RDA)
Potassium 1278 mg (64% EMR)
- 4 medium zucchini (one per serving), sliced using a julienne peeler or vegetable spiralizer (800g / 1.8 lb / 28.2 oz)
- 1/2 cup Paleo Avocado Pesto (125g / 4.4 oz)
- 2 average avocados (400g / 14.2 oz)
- cup kalamata or other types of olives, pitted (100g / 3.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained, 4-6 halves (28g / 1 oz)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (28g / 1 oz)
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- Using a spiralizer, create zucchini “noodles”. Chop the soft core of the zucchini and add it to the zoodles. If your zoodles tend to get mushy, try this technique from Mellissa at The Clothes Make The Girl.
- Place the zoodles (in batches if needed) on a pan greased with coconut oil and cook briefly for 2-5 minutes. The exact time depends on how tender you prefer the zoodles to be.
- Peel and halve the avocado. Remove the seed and slice it into stripes. Drain and chop the sun-dried tomatoes and drain the olives.
- Take the zoodles off heat and spoon in the pesto. Mix until well combined and season with salt.
- Place on a serving plate and top with tomatoes, olives, avocado and fresh basil.