These savoury zucchini muffins are delicious, moist and full of flavour. They are perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even as a side for your ketogenic and primal lifestyle. In this recipe I used cheddar, Parmesan and added some crisped up bacon and Italian herbs. If you want to add some heat, try with gruyere cheese and jalapeño peppers. For a vegetarian option, you can make these muffins with sun-dried tomatoes, olives and mozzarella. Keto Savory Zucchini Muffins!
Keto Savory Zucchini Muffins-Nutritional values (per muffin)
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (24%), fat (71%).
Total Carbs 4.8 grams
Fiber 2.2 grams
Net Carbs 2.6 grams
Protein 12.9 grams
Fat 16.6 grams
of which Saturated 6.7 grams
Calories 215 kcal
Magnesium 53 mg (13% RDA)
Potassium 229 mg (12% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 10 muffins)
- 6 large slices raw bacon (180 g/ 6.3 oz, about 96 g/ 3.4 oz crisped up)
- medium zucchini, grated (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (113 g/ 4 oz)
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 4 tbsp flax meal (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt (I like pink Himalayan)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder (you can make your own)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- 1/4 cup water (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F. Start by crisping up the bacon. Cut the bacon slices into thin strips and place on a hot pan. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook over a medium heat to render the fat and until the bacon is crisped up, for 10-15 minutes.
- Grate the zucchini and cheddar cheese and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: almond flour, flax meal, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian herbs, salt, pepper and gluten-free baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and water. Add the mixed dry ingredients into the bowl.
- Combine well and add the crisped up bacon, grated zucchini and grated cheddar.
- Combine and spoon into a muffin pan (you should be able to make 10 muffins).
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the muffins are set. When done, remove from the oven and let them cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. To store, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.