Ahhh… homemade mayonnaise. Fresh. Inexpensive. Quick. Delicious. Not to mention additive free. Schmear it on just about anything to maximize life’s simple pleasures! Keto Homemade Mayonnaise!
Keto Homemade Mayonnaise
Making your own mayonnaise could not be easier and takes under 2 minutes to whip up! I use light olive oil in this recipe, because of the mild flavor, but you can use the Keto friendly oil of your choice.
Once you see how easy this is, you will want to make your own from now on and skip the store-bought mayo that is loaded with preservatives!
Net carbs: 0 % 0.2 g
Fiber: 0 g
Fat: 99 % 57 g
Protein: 1 % 1 g
- Egg yolk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup avocado oil or light olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Bring the egg and mustard to room temperature in advance.
- Mix egg and mustard with a stick blender (or mixer) and add the oil slowly in a thin stream. The mayonnaise should begin to thicken.
- Continue to mix until all the oil has been added and the mayonnaise has set.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice. Mix some more and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning, and perhaps add more vinegar or lemon juice.
- Let the mayonnaise rest in the fridge before serving; this allows the flavor to develop and gives the mayonnaise time to thicken.
Making seafood? Use lemon juice or white wine vinegar. Enjoying beef or cold cuts? Use red-wine vinegar. Want something neutral? Use half plain white vinegar, half lemon juice. Homemade mayo keeps about 5 days in the refrigerator.
As a child I was taught by my grandmother that one egg yolk can bind as much as a whole quart (liter) of oil. In other words, if you want to make a bigger batch, just increase the amount of oil, mustard, spices and acid. You will not need more egg yolks if you keep the oil under a liter… and that’s a lot of mayo!