I’ve been seeing keto fathead dough around for a long time but hadn’t taken the time to play around with it until a few months ago. Most of the keto fathead dough recipes I’ve seen have baked the dough to make pizza, calzones, breads, and even desserts like danish. Many of them really legit looking too! Fathead Keto Gnocchi!
Fathead Keto Gnocchi
Gnocchi freeze very well. Spread them in a single layer on a floured baking sheet so they don’t stick together. Put the baking sheet into the freezer for 1 hour. Once frozen, put the gnocchi into a freezer bag. To cook them, just drop the frozen gnocchi directly in the boiling water without defrosting.
- 2 1/2 cups super fine blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups shredded full fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Combine the mozzarella cheese and butter in a medium bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir, then microwave another minute.
- Stir vigorously with a rubber spatula until fully combined, and then cool for 2 minutes. Egg, egg yolk and almond flour.
- Continue to mix until a rough dough is formed, this could take several minutes. Turn out the dough onto a smooth surface (or parchment paper) and knead until a semi-stretchy dough is formed. (if the dough is too wet, add a tablespoon or more of almond flour until workable)
- Form the dough into a long roll about 1 inch in diameter and then cut pieces about 1/2″ wide. You can then form them into almost any bite sized shape you want, but sticking with a simple disk as shown in the photos yielded the best results for me.
- Freeze the gnocchi for 15 minutes to firm them up. before cooking, or freeze them until ready to eat.
Bring a pot of salted water to a gentle boil – too vigorous and the gnocchi will fall apart. Add the gnocchi to the water in small batches and boil for 1 – 2 minutes or until floating.
- Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate, and cool for 5 minutes before adding to sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add lemon zest and thyme and cook for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the boiled and cooled keto gnocchi to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring gently to coat with the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.