Dutch scientists believe that biofuel is a “false solution to climate problems”. And that it should be abandoned to its use at European level. Biofuel Badly Affects The Climate!
Biofuel Badly Affects The Climate
They signed a document in which they asked the Dutch government to support the initiative. And are referring to a study that showed. That biofuel produced from agricultural crops had a 1.8 times lower impact on the climate of diesel produced from fossil fuels.
In an effort to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions in the transport sector. The European Union in 2009 encouraged the mixing of fossil fuels and biofuels with the renewable energy directive.
Research shows that production of biofuels (especially biodiesel) in many cases is more damaging to the climate than fossil fuels. Now the biofuel limit in the transport sector is 7%.
According to the proposal to amend the directive for the period 2021-2030. The EU should reduce the limit to 3.8%. That proposal is currently “paving the way for the European Parliament. Before negotiations between the European Commission, the Parliament and the Council.
A group of 177 Dutch scientists
A group of 177 Dutch scientists believe that this position is not strong enough. In a letter sent to their government. They demand that Amsterdam “undertake that fuel from agricultural crops will not be found in the European Agenda for Sustainable Development 2030”.
“In short, the mixing of oil from fuel crops is based on the assumption that it will contribute to a much more sustainable use of fuels. But this has in fact caused ecological and social degradation,” scientists wrote. They also stressed that this policy serves as a. “Veil covering risks associated with fossil fuels and offers a false solution to our energy needs”.
Biodiesel accounts for 80% of biofuels used in the European Union and a third of palm oil. The remaining 20% is bioethanol. Which is mainly derived from “domestic” cultures, such as sugar beet and wheat.
Scientists do not criticize biofuels policy just because they have a bad influence on climate change. But they also state that this habitat destroys habitat and loses biodiversity. Reduces climate resilience, undermines food safety, increases prices.
The signatories of the letter urged the Dutch government to acknowledge the damage. And it makes to the policy in the EU biofuel sector and to be writing in writing that it will give up on the EU’s Sustainable Development Agenda 2030. EU governments are considering the future of biofuels at a meeting of the EU Council of Ministers on Energy on December 18th.
Which is mainly derived from “domestic” cultures, such as sugar beet and wheat.
Scientists do not criticize biofuels policy just because they have a bad influence on climate change. But they also state that this habitat destroys habitat and loses biodiversity.